Skip to main content

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us



While I was not a Disney obsessed child like some friends I had, I believe Disney played an important role in my childhood as source of entertainment and culture. I fondly remember watching many Disney classics such as Fox and the Hound or Robin Hood. As an adult, I primarily remember watching the movies that were unrelated to the princesses, likely because those were mostly directed towards typical female audiences. An exception that I recall would be the movie Mulan, which seemed more appealing as a child with its action and fighting. Additionally, I was fortunate enough to have been raised in San Diego, CA, which was only an hour away from Disneyland. Disneyland as an attraction was always a desirable location to go to, and one that was rare to attend as a family of 8. Regardless of background, everyone loved going to Disneyland if they had the means to do so. I also recall the 'playground status' given to students in elementary school that came back from vacations wearing their shirts and pens.

In my experiences working with elementary school children at The Boys and Girls Club, Disney and other popular media seem to be the only concepts that the students know. When working with 5 and 6 year olds, they all show up to school wearing their Disney character inspired shirts and backpacks and lunchboxes. They play imaginary games in which they are the princesses or are the ones saving the princess. Though frightening, it is impressive to think of the capacity of mental space constructs such as Disney occupy in our's and our children's minds. Christensen discusses that this culture industry colonizes our minds and in turn teaches us how to act, live and dream.

I think it is difficult for me to say the ways in which my memories may be challenged by Christensen's chapter as well as the movie Frozen, especially if they were subliminal in nature. Christensen refers to this as a type of  'hidden education', where the viewer is not cognizant of the ways media is manipulating to act in society. I think I learned early on that the ways in which these movies taught us about life was not always how life was. Growing up closeted, I had early exposure in regards to learning about norms and roles associated with gender and sexuality. Understanding these roles was important in order to maintain my outward identity of straightness. Due to this, I believe that most of the themes and lessons I recall from these movies were tied to gender and identity. Through understanding the ways in which men or women are 'intended' to perform, I could then myself perform those identities.

Though there are tropes of the typical Disney princess movie present in Frozen, by the end of the film, most of these tropes have been reversed or satirized. As mentioned previously, lessons such as being courageous or strong for others was typically a lesson applied to men in the movies. Frozen counters this and applies the same lesson to one of the female characters. Other examples include the fact that, though there were two 'prince' characters, neither are the ultimate hero (and one is the villain!) I think movies like Frozen are important in combating gender stereotypes when interacting with young children. Though these lessons are usually oversimplified, I have interacted with young students who seemed to have understood the point of these lessons and modified their actions accordingly. Given the power this media has, it is important that it teaches lessons that will lead to a more inclusive and diverse society. In order to do this, Disney has a long way to go in pushing stereotypes regarding class and race beyond what they have done in the past.


Comments

  1. Hi Christian,
    Thank you for sharing your story about your connection with Disney. I appreciated reading your male take on watching these films. I feel like many kids growing up can relate to feeling this way. Although Disney is making strides in the right direction with movies such as Frozen and Moana, I agree with you when you state that Disney has a long way to go. Once they break out of the worries of S.C.W.A.A.P., I think we will actually be getting somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never seen Frozen in it's entirety and I was looking for someone to place in the villain category. I knew Hans didn't love Anna, and wouldn't be able to keep her from freezing to death, but I had no idea he would be the villain. I think that is, like you said, one way Disney has pushed back against the hero prince saving the princess. It has also shown us deceit, lies, and mistrust, and how easily we can find ourselves in situations with people like that... Great blog post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very important point about identity and how the highly structured gender roles in early Disney films actually taught you how to pass. Very powerful. Also agree that there are so many ways that Frozen flips in the end and ends up satirizing the very things it seemed to extol in the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with the that Frozen begins to push the gender roles and I really hope that Disney continues to push that boundary and eventually break the glass!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also grew up within close proximity to Disneyland! And I, too, liked to increase my status by accumulating Disney gear. Now, here we are, thousands of miles away and (for me) decades beyond and we're still talking about it. Such is the power of Disney.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Going to school...but how do I get in?

The documentary "Going to School" investigates the reality of special education in Los Angeles School District in the early 2000's. The district was in the midst of revamping its special education services, due to the district having significant shortcomings in regards to its services for students with disabilities. The film follows several students, and there are many interviews with educators, support staff, students and parents about what education (and special education) means for them. Below are some of the quotes that made me think the most about the current state of special education and the inadequacies that are present even today. Throughout the film, a particular parent of a student named Richard, was a vocal advocate for the inclusion of students with disabilities in the general education classroom. Beyond advocating for her own son, she worked to help other students and parents understand the special education system and what they need to do in order to advo

Rethinking Schools: Ignoring Diversity, Undermining Equity

For this week's reading, I chose to read the article  Ignoring Diversity, Undermining Equity  by Katherine Crawford-Garrett. Professor Crawford-Garrett teaches at the University of New Mexico, and prepares preservice teachers for their service in schools, specifically teaching them literacy best practices. I was immediately drawn by the title of the article, and was curious to learn in what ways diversity was being ignored at the expense of increasing equity in schools.  Crawford-Garrett beings the article discussing a conversation she had with her Dean. There was a high-stakes evaluation of the school's curriculum by the National Council on Teacher Quality ( NCTQ ). Per NCTQ's website,  "The National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit research and policy organization that is committed to modernizing the teaching profession".  NCTQ was to come into the school, and evaluate whether the curriculum at UNM was up to the standards of t