Skip to main content
Collier
"Many transitional or ESL programs do not emphasize the backbone of school success: academic literacy."
In my experience thus far as an ESL ELA teacher, this is a component that is often emphasized in trainings that I have been to. It takes several years to develop a language conversationally, and even longer to be proficient in an academic context. These skills in language need to be explicitly taught in order for students to learn the language. This is why an ESL classroom should clearly define the language objective for each lesson, so students know the academic language they will be learning and applying.

Rodriguez
"Only when I was with them in public would I grow alert to their accents."
The recounting of this story speaks to the importance of why we need to promote the idea of students valuing their home languages when learning English. If any value judgement is negatively applied towards a student's L1, they may begin to adopt those beliefs and opinions. This can then cause rifts between a student and their family, culture, and linguistic heritage, which would ultimately be a betrayal of that student's humanity.

Teaching Bilinguals
These videos discussed how teaching emergent bilinguals has looked different over time. It has not always been the case that educators place emphasis on retaining home language and cultural identity (and it isn't necessarily like that today in all cases). One strategy the videos discussed is translanguaging, which is a strategy that can be used to build a student's literacy in both L1 and L2, as well as retaining the importance of a student's linguistic identity.

Argument Statement:
The authors of all pieces argue that retaining an individuals identity and home language are pivotal aspects of new language acquisition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turkle & Wesch

In Turkle's article "The Flight From Conversation", she shares her perspective on the technological universe that we live in today. She discusses that in our current society, we have sacrificed conversation with each other for simple connection (in the form of our communicative technologies). Though we are all connected together through our cellphones, we are not interacting in the same ways we have in the past. This has left us in a 'Goldilocks' zone according to Turkle, in which we use our technology in order to not be too close and not too far from others. In this zone of disconnection, we can be left feeling alone, with our technologies acting as a crutch we use to fend off the feelings of loneliness while only continuing the problem. She ends her article with a quote that succinctly summarizes her stance on new technologies, "If we are unable to be alone, we are far more likely to be lonely".   In  Wesch's  article, "Anti-Teaching: Conf...

Digital Native or Not?

I was born prior to most of the modern day technology youth have access to today. Although I was not born into this technology, my early childhood years saw the transition into today's modern technologies. Due to this, I think of myself more as a digital native than a digital immigrant. Though I was born in a time when cellphones and laptops were not quite as ubiquitous  as they are today, I spent most of my time with the forms of technology that were available to me. As a 6 or 7 year old, I would play Nintendo 64 or Playstation or Gameboy, which were new and advanced for the time. By the time I was in middle school, I was spending a lot of time on the desktop computer, on websites such as Myspace (shoutout to Tom !). I developed the 'native' skills of twitch speed or parallel processing while going down Wikipedia rabbit holes while playing flash games in another tab.

Rethinking Schools: Ignoring Diversity, Undermining Equity

For this week's reading, I chose to read the article  Ignoring Diversity, Undermining Equity  by Katherine Crawford-Garrett. Professor Crawford-Garrett teaches at the University of New Mexico, and prepares preservice teachers for their service in schools, specifically teaching them literacy best practices. I was immediately drawn by the title of the article, and was curious to learn in what ways diversity was being ignored at the expense of increasing equity in schools.  Crawford-Garrett beings the article discussing a conversation she had with her Dean. There was a high-stakes evaluation of the school's curriculum by the National Council on Teacher Quality ( NCTQ ). Per NCTQ's website,  "The National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit research and policy organization that is committed to modernizing the teaching profession".  NCTQ was to come into the school, and evaluate whether the curriculum at UNM was up to the standar...